So I uploaded these blogs of my P51 Mustang onto the Hobbies360 wordpress site but I now want to migrate them over to the more purposefully named AceAircrafts site. I’m really sorry to those of you who have seen this, but hopefully I might get to meet people with these extra blogs!!
I was given this P51 starter kit as a Christmas present and it was kinda cool because I got all the Humbrol acrylic paints and brush with it as well. Here is the set:
The P51 starter set
I’ve got all the humbrol tools ready to start taking the parts off the sprue; I just want to prepare how I’m going to do this. I think painting some parts before gluing them is going to make life easier. I’ve got some Airfix magazines which I’m going to look through to see if they give any pointers as well.
I’m just painting the fuselage and I also figured I’d try and get some decals stuck down as well, especially the decals which are on the inside of the finished plane. Thought I’d share some pictures of my progress so far:
The partly painted fuselage:
I’m really happy with how this went and I think it looks close to the picture on the back of the box.
A picture of the decal I’ve stuck down, these things can be tricky, I was so nervous about ripping this, but I think it turned out ok…
Any tips for future builds would of course be much appreciated!
Take care everyone!!
So how’s it going?
So I’ve got this Badger 250-2 model airbrush (externally mixing) and a can of propellant and while I’m building the Messerschmitt I thought I would have a go at airbrushing the wing of my Lancaster bomber. So here is the airbrush kit ready to go:
Had a look at some tips on the net, and the one on eHow.com about mixing 50% water with 50% Acrylic paint did seem like a sensible suggestion so I ran with that. So I managed to paint one piece of wing and also made a hell of a mess in the back garden in the process:
And then my pressure starting failing, so I did some research and I think in the long term, I should invest in a compressor. This video seemed cool:
If anyone has any suggestions please so let me know.
So instead of just doing my usual thing and blogging about building the planes, I thought it might be to interesting to talk about the plane I was actually building – if that makes sense!!
This gives me extra time to prepare for the following week and avoid getting into a flap at the weekend – Oh no I haven’t built anything!! I’m sorry if a blog with limited pictures and building bores you, so please tell me what you think….?
So the ME 109 was one of the most advanced fighters of the era giving the Spitfire and (especially) the Hurricane a run for their money in the Battle of Britain. It includes features such as an all-metal monocoque construction, a closed canopy, and retractable landing gear. It was powered by a liquid-cooled, inverted-V12 aero engine. However, from the end of 1941, the Bf 109 was steadily being supplemented by the superior Focke-Wulf Fw 190 which I may include in future blogs. Of course as the Battle of Britain continued the allies were advancing the technology of their planes and the German Luftwaffe needed to keep up, so the Bf109G “Gustav” was introduced with a top speed of 387mph at 22,967 feet which enabled it to attack the Hurricanes from above.
The armament was also improved and could include an optional bomb on the centreline pylon and underwing cannons and rockets.
This variant gave the ME109 a hefty punch in air-to-air combat.
So there is some extra info guys I hope you enjoyed it, next week I’m hoping to do some building!
Oh, my featured image is courtesy of vqwarbirds.com thank you!!
Take care everyone and thank you for visiting AceAircrafts!
Hey everyone!! I’m so excited about my new site and feel I can totally focus on building, and of course writing about the planes I build.
So I figured I’d try something a little different this time and also needed to create myself some slack so I could have a go at practising some airbrushing in time for finishing the BBMF collection with the Lancaster ( I’m certainly NOT going to try and paint that by hand!!) I’m also trying to moved my blogs to a more specific blog site I’ve created in wordpress, and here it is!!
So let’s have a look at the ME109, sworn enemy of the Spitfire and Hurricane in the summer of 1940!!!
This set didn’t actually come with any paints so I’ve had to go get some from Hobbycraft.
Here is the set:
The underneath of the plane looks as if it’s a sort of grey colour, I tried to the get the paint which corresponds to the code on the box and ‘apparently’ it is unavailable! Not to worry I’ll make this colour myself, I can mix paints right!!
So, next week, I’ll probably be having a practice at Airbrushing on some old bits of wood I have in the garage in preparation for building the Lancaster further down the line……………….
I’m Wayne and please make sure you read my “About Me” page where you can get the low-down on me and what I’m all about…….
So I’ve been writing some blogs for the hobbies360 WordPress site and realised that I would like to put all my blogs about the planes I build to a separate site…. Hence the introduction of “AceAircrafts”. I hope you like it! So I built a P-51 Mustang for hobbies360 and slowly you will see the blogs (with pics) appear here….
For now though, I want to get my ME109 unpacked…………………… I have put this one on the hobbies360 site, but I didn’t want anyone to miss out!
Hope you enjoy the blogs!